Accessing DeGroote MBA Apps on Android
The DeGroote School of Business has implemented Microsoft RemoteApp to deliver applications to its students remotely over the local McMaster network and Internet (no VPN required). They are accessible from Android based devices using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app available for no cost in the Google Play Store. Applications access is secured by an encrypted SSL connection.
Access to, and use of, the MBA applications may vary slightly between different versions of Android but will follow the basic steps outlined below.
Accessing the MBA Applications Page
- Open the Google Play app on your Android device.
- Search for “Microsoft Remote” in the store. You will find it as shown below.
- Tap on the “Microsoft Remote Desktop” app to open the app catalogue page. Install it by tapping on the green “Install” button (as seen here).
- Once the app installation is complete, tap on the “Open” button, and then tap on the “Remote Resources” menu. Then tap on the “Add remote resources” icon.
- You will be presented with a login page. In the URL field, enter https://vmba.mcmaster.ca.
- In the User name field, enter your MacID in the form of “ads\MacID” where MacID is your personal McMaster MacID (no quotes, case is not important – as shown).
- Once you successfully log in, you will be presented with the MBA Applications page as shown below. From this page you will be able to launch any of the MBA applications being made available for use.
Launching an Application
To launch an application, a single tap on the icon will open an application session. After a short time, your application will open in a normal window and act as if it were installed on your local computer as seen here:
Note that the application will behave normally, but expect occasional delays when accessing files on your local computer.
REMEMBER: Save your files to your local device only and on a regular basis while being worked on to avoid losing any work should you become disconnected! In the event of a disconnection, your application session will remain open for up to 1 hour and upon reconnection, you will be connected back to your application with the previous state intact.
Local File System Access
You can access and save files on your local Android device’s file system. You only need to be aware that your local file system will be labelled in the form “Android on localhost” in the App/Windows File Explorer.
Note: Folders listed under “Favorites” are not the folders on your local device. You must click on your local device under “This PC” (most often Android on localhost) and drill into your desired local folder.
Remote Desktop App Use
Once the application is launched, you will notice a tool bar along the top of the screen as seen below:
Note that while using the Remote Desktop App on Android, you can perform the following functions using this toolbar that will help make app use easier:
- Tapping on the ‘arrows‘ symbol will allow you to zoom and scroll the application using your touchscreen.
- Tapping on the ‘keyboard‘ symbol brings up the on-screen keyboard.
- Tapping on the title in the toolbar will bring up special functions and Windows-equivalent key combinations often used in Microsoft Windows.
Tapping the “Back” button on your Android device twice will disconnect your application session. A Disconnection leaves the application running on the server, remaining in the same state until you reconnect. After a 6 hour period of inactivity, a disconnected application session will be automatically closed by the system.
For any issues regarding access to the MBA applications portal, or technical issues, please contact the DSB ITS department by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org to have a support request ticket created. Please be sure to include your full name and MacID in your request.